Parks & Rec is currently scheduling lifeguard certification courses for people who want to work as Parks & Rec Lifeguards at John Sevier and Springbrook Pools this summer. The minimum age requirement for this course is 15 years old. The cost for the course is $90 for Parks & Rec Lifeguards. Those who don’t want to work for Parks & Rec may take the course for $150. The certification is good for 2 years. The following swimming skill pre-requisites are required to complete this course, and a pre-requisite test is given at the beginning of the in-the-pool session. Pre-requisites include:
· Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing. May use the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
· Tread in deep water for 2 minutes using only your legs (hands placed under the armpits).
· Complete a timed event within 1 minute 40 seconds: Starting in the water, swim 20 yards. Face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
· Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10 pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on your back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object and keeping the object’s face at or near the surface so the object, simulating a human, would be able to breathe. Swimming under water is not allowed.
· Exit the water without using the ladder or steps.
The course requires the completion of a 7-8 hour online course PRIOR to the classroom and in-the-pool training time. Proof of completion of the online course (printed certificate) will be required to be admitted to the remainder of the total course. The classroom and in-the-pool training dates are listed below. A few days before the course, you will receive an email reminder about your course and information on what you will need to bring to each session.
You may register online below or in person at the Parks & Rec Office, Monday-Friday, 8AM – 5PM. Upon payment of the fee, the access link to the online training will be provided by email. Make sure the email address you provide when you register is correct and one that you check often. After you pay the fee, Parks & Rec must send your information to the Red Cross, who will then send your link back to Parks & Rec. The Parks & Rec Office will then send it to you. Please allow a minimum of 24 hours after you pay to receive this link. If you register online on week-ends, your payment will not be processed until Monday and you may not get the access link until Tuesday.
Regarding food breaks: During the in-the-pool time, there will be half hour lunch break during the Saturday sessions. You are encouraged to bring a packed lunch. The time of the break will be announced a half hour before to allow time for someone to bring you lunch if you don’t bring it with you. For the Friday Classroom sessions and the Sunday in-the-pool sessions, there will be short rest breaks. You are allowed to bring snacks for break time.
PLEASE USE REGISTER ONLINE BUTTON TO THE RIGHT TO REGISTER.
2021 dates, times and location to be announced.